Dear Shoe-listers,

As you may be aware, today is the 200th anniversary of David Ricardo's
death on 11th September 1823, aged only 51.

Ricardo wrote a few years earlier, “I consider life on the whole as not a
very desirable thing to retain after 60” before adding “I have not I assure
you seriously quarrelled with life – I am on very good terms with it”.
After his death, however, people have not ceased from quarrelling over his
legacy.

I wrote a short piece about the anniversary and the research and themes for
a book about Ricardo's legacy that I've written for Bristol University
Press, due out next year provisionally called 'Ricardo's Dream: How
Economists Forgot the Real World and Led Us Astray':
https://www.earthriseblog.org/its-200-years-since-david-ricardo-died-heres-why-ive-written-a-book-about-his-legacy/

Please feel free to get in touch if you have any comments or questions and
if you're on Twitter/X you can find a thread about the anniversary
<https://twitter.com/natjdyer/status/1701227736482623792> here.

Many thanks, and best wishes,
Nat

Nat Dyer
Writer
Fellow of The Schumacher Institute and the RSA
Twitter: @natjdyer <https://twitter.com/natjdyer>
www.natdyer.com <http://www.earthriseblog.org>