From: A forum for discussion for the Archives Assoc. of Ontario <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Sarah Ferencz
Sent: November 21, 2023 4:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Newspaper Quandry

Hi List,

I've been on the fence for a long time about our historic newspapers (1850s-1960s). They are unwieldy, difficult to store, and have never once been requested in the 15 years I've been in my position. We don't even have them stored properly, some of them are bundled in kraft paper, some of them are stacked openly on the shelves. To be honest, I wouldn't even allow a researcher to look at them because they're not organized. I have no idea where to locate a specific issue.

Our newspapers are microfilmed and digitized but for some reason I can't bring myself to throw the originals away. I'm asking for you, dear list, to help me decide, one way or another. Should I keep them or should I get rid of them? I'm open to all opinions but I need someone to knock me off the fence. What does your organization do with historic newspapers? At this point, I doubt we'd invest money or time in properly storing and/or organizing.

 Thank you for your help!

​Sarah Ferencz
Archivist
Whitby Public Library

Central Library
405 Dundas St. W.
Whitby, ON
L1N 6A1
905-668-6531 ext. 2022
Web: www.whitbylibrary.ca/archives<http://www.whitbylibrary.ca/archives>
Facebook: facebook.com/whitbylibrary<http://facebook.com/whitbylibrary>
Twitter: @whitbylibrary<http://twitter.com/whitbylibrary> Instagram:@whitbylibrary<http://instagram.com/whitbylibrary>

Confidentiality Warning: This e-mail contains information that is confidential and is intended only for the use of the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of this transmission is strictly prohibited. Please contact the Whitby Public Library immediately if you have received this transmission in error and delete this message. ====================================
[Envoyé d'un expéditeur externe / From External Sender]