Hi friends,

I wanted to share some things I'm offering this Fall and a couple of
resources I've been building. See below!
Free Workshops

   1. Managing Anxiety Around Sexual Health - Nov 15, Vancouver, in-person
   2. Exploring the Spectrum & Rainbow of Grief - Nov 21. Toronto,
   in-person.
   3. LGBTQ+ Muslim Mental Health, Dec 1, virtual

Therapist Corner

   1. CBT Treatment Planning Reference Guide
   2. Toronto’s Queer & Trans Therapists - Get Connected

Free Workshops

*Managing Anxiety Around Sexual Health *

Some people have lots of casual partners and rarely get sexually
transmitted infections. Others have only a few partners and regularly find
themselves at the testing clinic. Much of this is merely a function of risk
reduction and chance – but try telling your anxiety that!

This workshop is specifically for folks who experience high anxiety around
sexual health (even when their exposure to infection is seemingly low).

Social worker and psychotherapist Rahim Thawer will explore why we both
need anxiety and how we could benefit from tools to contain it.

We’ll discuss how anxiety plays out during hook-ups while communicating
about risk, and when accessing testing services.

This group is open to self-identified men (trans, cis, and other men),
two-spirit and non-binary folks who also identify as gay, bi, queer,
asexual, and/or as guys who are into/or have sex with guys (for any reason
– including for work).

* Register Here:*

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/managing-anxiety-around-sexual-health-tickets-165172578629

*Exploring the Spectrum & Rainbow of Grief*

Grief is a complex emotional experience. We grieve losses resulting from
death. We also grieve non-death losses such as relationship endings, drifts
away from friends, the disappointment of families, the person we hoped
we would be and what we hoped life would look like. Some of us turn to
religion, faith and/or spirituality to cope with grief while many others
struggle with the compounding experience of grieving religious teachings
and communities that once held a central space in our lives but no longer
serve us. Rahim Thawer, social worker and therapist, will begin this
workshop with an exploration of his own queer grief supplemented by
anecdotes from his clinical practice. Participants will then consider the
types and sources of grief in their own lives and share perspectives on the
role of spirituality, if any, in supporting grief processing. This session
is open to folks who identify as agnostic, atheist, or of-faith.

This workshop offering is in collaboration with the Multi-Faith Centre and
Sexual & Gender Diversity Office.

*Register Here:*

https://clnx.utoronto.ca/home/slevents.htm?eventId=58800

*LGBTQIA+ Muslims and Mental Health*

Fri, Dec 1, 2023 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM EST

This webinar by Rahim Thawer will draw on academic literature, personal
lived experience, and community organizing work with two queer Muslim
groups based in Canada. We will unravel the tensions that affect the mental
health of 2SLGBTQIA+ Muslims, including managing homophobia and coming out,
reconciling sexuality and faith-based identities, both being critical of
Islam and fighting Islamophobia, seeking and creating affirming spaces,
acculturating as asylum seekers and Canadian-born 2SLGBTQIA+ Muslims, and
religious-cultural factors affecting access/understanding of mental health
services. There will be a Q&A period at the end of the session.

Learning Outcomes:

   1.

   Examine the religious, cultural and political diversity among Muslims
   across the globe
   2.

   Articulate various meanings of what it means to be a queer or trans
   Muslim
   3.

   Consider the unique needs of this minority that exist within a minority
   4.

   Explore the intersection of homophobia, transphobia and Islamophobia

*Register Here:*
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2slgbtqia-muslims-and-mental-health-tickets-753370731137
Therapist Corner

*CBT Treatment Planning Guide*

This resource
<https://www.affectiveconsult.ca/s/Treatment-Planning-Reference-Guide-for-CBT-Clinicians-20.pdf>
was initially created for my social work students as a working document and
has been developed with heavy reliance on AI. Use it only as a reference
guide and starting point in your work as a therapist.

https://www.affectiveconsult.ca/cbtresources

*Our Community Is Growing! *

If you are a private practice therapist in the GTA and identify with the
2SLGBTQ+ community and you’d like to be added to the *public-facing TQTT
listing *above, please complete this form
<https://airtable.com/appGtIJtr0jANm0c7/shrtzGNfjuf5IHuG2>.

If you are a private practice therapist in the GTA and identify with the
2SLGBTQ+ community and you’d like to be added to the *TQTT Google group
mailing list*, send an email to the moderators by clicking here
<tqtt+subscribe@googlegroups.com?body=Hi%2C%20my%20name%20is...%0A%0AI%20work%20with...%0AAnd%2C%20I%27m%20part%20of%20the%20LGBT2SQ%2B%20community.&subject=please%20add%20me%20to%20the%20tqtt%20mailing%20list>
.

*https://www.affectiveconsult.ca/torontos-queer-and-trans-community-therapists
<https://www.affectiveconsult.ca/torontos-queer-and-trans-community-therapists>*

warmly,

Rahim Thawer MSW RSW

Affective Consulting & Psychotherapy Services

affectiveconsult.ca