Dear colleagues,

On behalf of the John Smart Scholarship committee, we are delighted to announce that we have reached our fundraising goal of $25,000. This will be matched by the University of Toronto, creating a $50,000 fund to support the scholarship in perpetuity. This award will be launched in the fall of 2024. The successful iSchool candidate, who will be engaged in graduate work related to either social justice and democracy, information science, or labour history, will be awarded $2,000 to assist them in their studies.

We wish to thank our partner, the Douglas Coldwell Layton Foundation, for its assistance in helping us raise the initial $25,000.  The committee’s success meeting our ambitious target would not have been possible without the generous contributions made by the archival community, as well as the friends and family of John and Patricia Smart.

We are deeply appreciative of everyone’s efforts to bring this initiative to fruition and we feel that this scholarship is a wonderful way to memorialize and honour John’s legacy.

Sincerely,

Committee members:

Ellen Scheinberg, [log in to unmask] (co-chair)

Karen Teeple, [log in to unmask] (co-chair)

Carol Radford-Grant

Pat Smart

Paul Henry

Richard Lochead