fyi

From: Catherine Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 14 December 2023 at 10:32:15 GMT
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: JCPH update & request

Dear colleagues,

Re: Update on Journal of Critical Public Health (JCPH)

The Journal of Critical Public Health (JCPH) is off to a great start.  As planned, the journal opened for submissions on July 5, 2023. This date was selected to coincide with the resignation by members of the Editorial Board of Critical Public Health from its corporate owners and publishers, as described here, to ensure continuity for the community of authors and readers.

Since opening, we have had a steady influx of submissions, the vast majority of which are in-scope, and we are on track to publish our first issue(s) in 2024.

JCPH is published on behalf of the international Critical Public Health Network, and is hosted on the University of Calgary’s (Canada) Open Journal Systems platform. It is supported by an Editorial Collective consisting of members from a range of countries and disciplines. We have a working model for Governance and Terms of Reference which was approved at our first Editorial Collective meeting, held in September 2023.

For the first year we have committed to a diamond open access model with no fees for publishing or reading articles in the journal. In the longer term we will need a sustainable, cost-recovery oriented funding model to support expenses associated with production (typesetting, copyediting). The funding model will align with our vision of a not-for-profit journal by and for the critical public health scholar-activist community (see forthcoming Editorial by Robin Bunton on behalf of the JCPH Editorial Collective, titled, Manifesto for a new journal: Safeguarding critique in public health). Discussions about a sustainable funding model are underway.

Request to members of CPHN community: We are grateful for the expressions of support from the broader community around this transition. Starting a new journal, however, requires building some elements from scratch. This includes our reviewer database. Throughout the history of the journal we have established a reputation for high-quality, rigorous peer-review. We request your help in maintaining that quality and reputation. Please consider volunteering to be added to our reviewer database, by sending the following information to Sandra Dewar ([log in to unmask]):

1. Name

2. Primary affiliation

3. 2-5 key words

4. Email address

Any questions about the journal can be directed to Lindsay McLaren ([log in to unmask]) or Rosa Hemmingway ([log in to unmask]).

Best wishes,
Cath Montgomery
Chair, JCPH Editorial Collective

Dr Catherine Montgomery

Senior Lecturer and Chancellor's Fellow
Science, Technology & Innovation Studies, University of Edinburgh

https://www.research.ed.ac.uk/en/persons/catherine-montgomery