Apologies for cross-posting.

Black Histories Wikipedia & Wikidata Edit-a-thon

We live in a world of information, and the knowledge we share matters: it can challenge or uphold the systemic barriers that many in our communities face. This February, we invite you to join your library in making the world of information more inclusive in the Toronto Black Histories Edit-a-thon

First, join us Tuesday,  February 6, 2024, 11 am to 12:30 pm EST for an online kick-off panel featuring

The discussion will be moderated by Dr. Natasha Henry Dixon who teaches in the Professorial Stream in the Department of History at York University. Her publications include Emancipation Day: Celebrating Freedom in Canada and Talking about Freedom: Celebrating Freedom in Canada.

Join us to hear how these scholars research and surface Black Canadian histories/experiences. You won’t want to miss this lively discussion about community engagement in research and the roles that digital technologies have in constructing the knowledge we share online.

Next sign up to take part in one of the Black Histories Edit-a-thons. No experience with Wikipedia and Wikidata is needed because all events have training embedded into their programming. There are online and in-person opportunities so visit the Toronto BHE website to learn more and register for the events including:

You also have the opportunity to participate on your own, you can sign in via the Outreach Dashboard to have your contributions counted as part of this month-long event! The BHE website can connect you with online training and projects so you can work independently on our BHE 2024 campaign.

This event is organized by U of T Libraries, York University Libraries, Toronto Metropolitan University Libraries, and Toronto Public Library. We look forward to seeing you!

Katrina Cohen-Palacios on behalf of the organizing team