/Please share widely/

https://rnao.ca/policy/action-alerts/stop-targeting-transgender-youth

-------- Forwarded Message --------

Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario
<https://myrnao.ca/civicrm/mailing/url?u=180902&qid=149180892>

Dear colleague,

Recently, the premier of Alberta, Danielle Smith, joined other
provincial leaders who have exploited prejudice and ignorance about
transgender people – and, in particular, youth. RNAO is deeply concerned
to see federal Conservative Party leader, Pierre Poilievre, echoing and
amplifying Smith’s views across the country. These views are
ill-informed and dangerous to the health and wellbeing of some of the
most vulnerable youth in our society.

_*Join us!
<https://rnao.ca/policy/action-alerts/stop-targeting-transgender-youth>*_Tell
the leader of the federal Conservative Party to stop targeting
transgender and gender-diverse youth. RNAO denounces any kind of
stigmatization, discrimination and social exclusion based on sexual
orientation, gender identity and gender expression. We applaud Prime
Minister Justin Trudeau and other federal leaders who continue to stand
in support of transgender youth.

The proposed restrictions to care proposed by Smith and supported by
Poilievre appear to be founded on ideology, not informed by evidence.
RNAO’s best practice guideline for nurses, /Promoting 2SLGBTQI+ Health
Equity/, provides the actual evidence for foundational, inclusive
health-care practices for the 2SLGBTQI+ community. From our research, we
know that gender-affirming care provided by person-centred health
professionals in an inclusive health setting – which may include the use
of puberty blockers and hormone treatment – provides the best health and
social outcomes for transgender and non-binary youth.

We are also deeply concerned about efforts in other provinces to
restrict education on matters of sexuality and gender combined with a
corresponding insistence on parental consent in all matters related to
youth gender identity. Research shows that this compounds the
vulnerability of gender-diverse youth, considerably increasing their
exposure to violence and likelihood of homelessness, as well as
increasing the risk of self-harm and suicide.

RNAO is very pleased by the pledge of Ontario Premier Doug Ford and
Minister of Health Sylvia Jones to retain the province’s current
guidelines for treatment and care for transgender youth.

RNAO is inspired by the widespread reaction across Canada to politicians
targeting at-risk youth and sending them a simple message: Stop.

*_Join us_
<https://rnao.ca/policy/action-alerts/stop-targeting-transgender-youth>*
and join youth across the country telling Poilievre and other political
leaders to stop targeting transgender and gender-diverse youth.

In solidarity,

Dr. Doris Grinspun, RN, BScN, MSN, PhD,
LLD(hon), Dr(hc), DHC, DHC, FAAN, FCAN, O.ONT
Chief Executive Officer

*Follow us*
<https://myrnao.ca/civicrm/mailing/url?u=180903&qid=149180892> Follow us
on Instagram