See further an abstract of the paper:

Traditions within development thought sceptical of market-led
development and which emphasise the unevenness and instabilities
of global capitalism are experiencing some renewed interest.
One such tradition is dependency studies: a school of thought once
prominent in the field of development. We critically review the
dependency tradition alongside a more recent branch of critical
inquiry into development, namely decoloniality. One of our core
contributions is to clarify what makes the decolonial tradition substantially
distinct from dependency and other traditions in development
thought. We locate decoloniality in the context of the
“cultural turn” that swept through social theory from the 1970s.
Our paper problematises decoloniality’s critique of Modernity as
inherently colonial and oppressive and finds that its core features
are idealism and the strong risk of cultural relativism. We assert that
the substantive commitments of the dependency tradition are its
strength and reject the equivalence drawn by decolonial theorists
between “Eurocentrism” and belief in Enlightenment values and
methodologies. Drawing on the work of Samir Amin, we emphasise
the need for development theory to retain an analytic focus on
a materialist analysis of global capitalism; we echo Amin’s critique
of culturalism and endorse his defence of universalism.