I've received this message from andy hoffman:

> I hesitate to say more about the correspondence for fear
> people will think I am fixated on 19th century
> homosexuality.

For those of us indeed fixated on 19th c. homosexuality,
please say on. (After all, Anne Rice made her fortune on
it.)

In "Come Back to the Raft Again, Huck Honey," the legendary
_Partisan Review_ essay, Leslie Fiedler -- perhaps informed
by James Baldwin -- holds that the appeal of _Huckleberry
Finn_ is the discovery of the hidden homoeroticism in
archetypical American male-bonding. Fiedler made both his
career and his enemy list with that thesis.

Do your letters support either Fiedler's career or his
enemies?

Vicki Richman
Bedford, Brooklyn NY