Another response from H-Ideas:

Date: Sun, 12 Nov 1995 10:58:04 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Agnes Miklos Illes writes: "I am looking for literature on American cultural
history (sociology, philosophy, economics etc.) of the period about 1920 -
1960."

I'd like some, too, and I'm distressed at how little has been written about
the intellectual history of this period that tries to be comprehensive. I
have a cultural history of the 70s, Peter Carroll, *It Seemed Like Nothing
Happened*, NY: Holt, 1982, but that's after the period and like other,
similar works, seems to me to be lacking in comparative perspectives and not
fully informed of what was going on among academic, as opposed to more
public, thinkers.
I would hasten to recommend Paul Dickson's *Think Tanks*, NY: Ballantine
paperback, 1971, a fine piece of journalism now hard to use because its
original publication was in paperback. It does a superb job of describing the
intellectual atmosphere and activity at these 50s and 60s non-universities
called "think tanks" both the ones on the left (as they believed) and those
on the right (pre-Pat Robertson).
John Diggins's new history of US social thought through the lens of
pragmatism (*The Promise of Pragmatism: Modernism and the Crisis of Knowledge
and Authority*, Chicago: U. of Chicago Press, 1994) is very fine, I think,
but I feel ignorant. What do others know? Must we fall back on Stow Persons
or Eric Goldman?

-Bill Everdell, Brooklyn