In doing research on flatulence, I have come across Twain's infamous
*'1601' : a Tudor fireside conversation / as written by the
ingenuous, virtuous, and learned Mark Twain, wit ; embellished by
the worthy Alan Odle*. The marvelous illustrations are included in Anne
Ficklen's *The Hidden Mark Twain: A Collection of Little-Known Mark Twain*
published by Crown Publishers, Inc., 1984.

Can anyone tell me more about the illustrator Odle? Are the illustrations
for *`1601'* in the public domain?  Thank you.

I have, of course, Twain's reference to flatulence in his speech on Onanism:
"It is unsuited to the drawing room, and in the most
cultured society it has long been  banished from the social board.
It has at last, in our day of progress and improvement, been degraded
to brotherhood with flatulence.  Among the best bred, these two arts
are now indulged in only private -- though by consent of the whole
company, when only males are present, it is still permissible, in
good society, to remove the embargo on the fundamental sigh." Does anyone
remember other Twain references?

Everett C. Albers
ND Humanities Council
Bismarck, ND