Sheesh, I wanted to make a reputation for myself among Mark Twain folks, but
this isn't exactly what I had in mind!  Leave it to two friends to get you
back.

Mark Twain, of course, would be amused, both over the idea of indiscretions
and indiscreet tippling.  In his later years, didn't he take a belt of
Scotch
upon awaking in the morning?  And I for one give great credence to the
theory
that his pen-name came in part from his habit of taking two drinks "on the
cuff" (on credit)--it would be very in character for him to have two ways of
viewing of name.  He has many excellent drinking passages in his writing,
from
the ridiculous (one Siamese twin who is a drunk, the other a teetotaler), to
the sublime (the great description of Jim Blaine being "serenely,
symmetrically drunk") to the satirical (Pap claiming he was going to vote
"if
he warn't too drunk") to the frightening (Pap's dt's and visions of snakes
and
ghosts in the cabin).  In honor of this, I'll buy a drink for any Mark Twain
Forum member at any gathering, academic or otherwise, if you only ask.  Even
including those who took so much umbrage!  Cheers . . .