------- Forwarded from Philosop by Ross B. Emmett -------

Graduate Programme in Social & Political Thought
STRATEGIES OF CRITIQUE XI
Interdisciplinary Graduate Student Symposium
18-19 April 1997 York University

Call for papers:

** END OF KNOWLEDGE or the knowledge of ends **

As we muddle towards the end of the century, our disciplinary structures
are plagued with doubt.  Once more, we confront the issue of how we stake
our claims to knowledge, in the political, historical, cultural and
social.  The theme of the 1997 "Strategies of Critique" symposium concerns
knowledge: its production and destruction; its use, abuse and disuse.  We
welcome critical papers, across disciplines, addressing any aspect of this
theme in contemporary or historical contexts.

Possible topics might include:

* knowing the nation
* discernment of culture
* fin-de-siecle follies
* epistemological narratives
* aesthetics of academe
* civic understandings
* economic fables

Please submit an abstract (two pages, double-spaced) prepared for blind
review to the address at right. Deadline for receipt of abstracts is 30
SEPTEMBER 1996.

Direct abstracts and correspondence to:
Strategies of Critique XI
Graduate Programme in Social & Political Thought
York University
North York (Toronto), Ontario
Canada
M3J 1P3