> If you know the film SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS, it says some of
>what I'd like to say about Mark Twain --- basically that, those who give
>us laughter give us more than merely a smile, they give us medicine for
>our pains, a tonic for our spirits, and the richest food possible for our
>souls.

You might want to check out a particular quote in the _Autobiography_ which
seems appropriate.  I don't have it at hand, but Twain reflects on the
possible reason that he has survived into the 20th century, while so many
other once-popular humorists (Josh Billings, P.V. Nasby, etc.) didn't.
Twain
concludes that it is because his humor always included an underlying
seriousness, or something along those lines.

Scott Dalrymple