In "Punch Brothers, Punch", Twain says "I came across these jingling
rhymes in a newspaper, a little while ago, and read them a couple of
times."  Apparently these "jingling rhymes" were written by Isaac H.
Bromley who, I think, was an editor on The NY Tribune about this time.

Twain's version is an only slightly altered copy of Bromley's jingle
titled "The Passenjare".

I wonder why Twain did not credit Bromley.  Would this be considered
plagiarism or were newspaper items used without acknowledgment?

I am looking for the date and the paper in which Bromley's  jingle
appeared.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Neil