John W. Young wrote:
> I know that this question is not related to Twain in the strictest sense,
> but can anyone point me to a verifiable date by which John Steinbeck read
> _Adventures of Huckleberry Finn_? I know that Steinbeck _did_ read the
> book, but I really need to know _when_

In his comments on the demise of Twain scholar Pascal Covici Jr., Wesley
Britton noted, in the _M.T.Circular_, that Covici's second literary love
was perhaps Steinbeck.  You might look at Covici's work to see if he ever
answered your question.  And yes, I think questions of Twain's influence
on other authors are related in the strictest sense to this Forum's
purpose.

larry marshburne               [log in to unmask]