A question to the group:

Did Mark Twain ever write anything along the lines of ``Whiskey is for
drinking and water is for fighting over.''

I'm a newspaper reporter and once wanted to use the quote in an article
about water rights. I looked everywhere I could think of and even called
a few Twain scholars and nobody could place it. Although I had seen
another newspaper, years earlier, attribute it to Twain, I couldn't
verify that. I ended up writing something like ``it's been said
whiskey's for fighting over ...''

Does anybody know if the line traces to Twain or if not him, whom?

Scott Canon
Reporter
The Kansas City Star