To: CLICK41 --INTERNET [log in to unmask]

*** Reply to note of 08/05/97 13:38
Lorraine Telford's note echoes my feelings. I have spent most of my working
life trying to help the sick and injured (as a family doctor) although the
last decade in government ministries called "Health". I have been happy to
treat the sick and injured and uncomfortable with with expressions such as
"healthcare" as I feel they are not really honest.
  It has not bothered me to be told that, as a doctor, I am part of a
profession that has little to do with health promotion, and I have accepted it
when told that doctors (in general, and me specifically) know nothing about
health promotion.

Now as it turns out, I think I do know a little about it, and I believe I am a
supporter of the health promotion movement. Which makes the rest of what I
have to say a little difficult because some people are going to think I am
attacking them when I really just want the ideas examined.

When I ask what is this health promotion thing that I know so little about,
the examples I am given are almost always disease and injury prevention - and
that angers me because I know a lots about disease and injury. Further, the
technique often promoted for health promotion is to tell people how to live
their lives (Whoa - I know the true health promoters would NEVER do that, so I
am not talking about you) which is the very paternalist, dependency
encouraging manner I am accused of!

So, in order to educate me, can we have a little more in the list discussion
about health promotion and how innovations such as internet can help us
achieve it. And I DON'T mean discussion about telling people to exercise, eat
wisely and don't smoke!

Howard Platt, M.B.,Ch.B.,
These are my own opinions and may not be those of my employer.