Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:00:59 -0800
To: [log in to unmask]
From: Len Duhl <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: http://www.healthycities.org

I need your help to make the www.healthycities.org web site, truly international and in multiple languages. Please let me know how you can help

                     Friend:

                     We are in the prosses of making the HEALTHY

                     CITIES site, [www.healthycities.org] one which

                     primarily deals with international issues of of cities

                     and communities. The Coalition for Healthier

                     Cities and Communities will be purely domestic.

                     Check it out at www.healthycommunities.org.

                     Our international focus will be on cities and

                     comunities; how to improve the quality of life of

                     the total community. As part of our concerns, we

                     will focus upon community organizations,

                     transportation, housing, jobs and economic

                     development, women's organizations and gender

                     issues, environment, NGO's, religious and faith

                     communities, health, and more.

                     It is our belief that the central focus cannot be any

                     one area of concern. The issues we face are

                     systemic, often not geographic and certainly not

                     discipline oriented. In our view too many of the

                     Healthy Cities and Communities programs are

                     traditionally health oriented; towards public

                     health. They are concerned with the community,

                     with health as the center. In this post-Copernican

                     world, health is but one factor in a larger system,

                     admittedly a very important one. To achieve the

                     goal of making this site usable to community and a

                     wide of other groups,we propose:

                     - sections for different parts of the world. We

                     want to be in contact with people, projects,

                     academia, research, and gather stories from all

                     kinds of local work.

                     - connections to NGO's and important issues.

                     See www.oneworld.org for one of the best

                     coverages of these areas.

                     - material and special sections in Spanish,

                     Chinese and other languages

                     - area editors to cover all that is going on. Stories

                     of program successes and failures.

                     - links to a wide variety of diverse materials

                     - developing tools to synthesize information,so

                     that what is needed is easily available without

                     prolonged search. If you want the best

                     knowledge in specific areas, it will be there in

                     usable form.

                     We are looking for inputs from you.

                     - what are your suggestions?

                     - are you willing to be a correspondent?

                     - are there people you can suggest to be

                     reponsible for a area of the world or a subject?

                     - what sites should we point to?

                     - what are the important things you want

                     covered?

                     - is there anything we can help with that would

                     make your work easier?

                     In sum, we are changing the site, but need your

                     help first. This is your site.

                     PLEASE CONTACT ME AT:

                     Len Duhl

<bold>Len Duhl, MD

</bold>Professor of Public Health and Urban Planning

University of California at Berkeley

Berkeley, CA 94720-7360

Phone:510 642-1715  FAX: 510-643-6981

Please check the Healthy Cities site at: http://www.healthycities.org for
information, links, discussion groups and tutorials..