Thanks to all of you who responded to my posting awhile back about the
formation of a new Mark Twain interest group in New York City, the Mark
Twain Circle of New York.

I am pleased to finally drop the other shoe by announcing that our inaugural
brunch meeting will be held from 1 to 3 PM Saturday, July 18.

There is no membership or admission fee; brunch is $9.50 per person. The
only membership qualification we can think of is a fairly lively interest in
Sam Clemens'/Mark Twain's writings, life, and times.

I have reserved the upstairs room at Pete's Tavern, 129 East 18th Street (NW
corner of Irving Place).  This is one of New York's more venerable watering
holes and something of a literary landmark.  At least, they like to believe
that O. Henry wrote "The Gift of the Magi" there, scribbling furiously in
the second booth on the right while his anxious paced the floor.  It's a
nice story.

To make this a certifiable Mark Twain occasion, I will plan -- if time
permits -- on presenting a short slide talk on "Mark Twain's New York."
Other than that, this will be an informal get-together, intended to let New
York-area Twain lovers meet one another and find out if there are enough of
us, and enough interest and enthusiasm, to support a new literary, but not
particularly academic, group -- one that, ideally, can arrange for guest
lecturers, book discussions, and other special events at future gatherings.

For reservations, please contact me via e-mail at [log in to unmask], or
call 212-242-5546.

Peter Salwen