Subject: Promoting partnerships?
From: Bang_Debbie/chc@email
TO: [log in to unmask]

--openmail-part-009c2dbc-00000002

Tom ... I am having quite a bit of difficulty with your statement, and I quote
...the magazine would appear to be little more than a drug industry propaganda
vehicle, presumably receiving Health Canada funding while it "finds it's feet in
the marketplace". Could this be what is meant by the phrase "health promotion"?

I have re-looked at my Health Promotion in Canada Vol 34, Issue 4 edition and
noted the following ads:

1. Pharmaceutical Manufactures Association of Canada - content of the ad:
information about a program that they offer to help promote the appropriate use
of medicines. (French and English versions)

2. Astra Pharma Inc.- content of the ad: information about a program that they
offer related to absenteeism. (French and English versions)

3. Health Canada - content of the ad: information about a URL (program) that
they offer to access health promotion information. (Bilingual)

4. Roche Canada - content of the ad: information about services / components of
their company. (French and English versions)

As a health promotion practitioner I am very aware of how health promotion is
defined and what it looks like in practice.  I am interested in knowing what
"health promotion" activities the private sector is involved in and how they are
defining health promotion ... and I do not mind taking their money to find out.
The ads are not promoting the use of a certain drug or treatment nor do I feel
complelled to purchase one of their products.  Their business is to sell drugs,
no question.  AND it is well worth their while to look like good corporate
citizens!  But the bottom line is they have money and we do not!  The ads do not
promote activities that are unacceptable to me as a health promotion
practitioner ... I would suggest that the editorial board is able to accept or
reject content for ads ... and the journal and practitioners benefit as their
ads help to reduce our subscription rates and to ENSURE THAT WE HAVE A VEHICLE
TO PROFILE THE HEALTH PROMOTION WORK/ ACTIVITIES / RESEARCH THAT WE ARE DOING IN
CANADA!

A journal such as Health Promotion in Canada has been missing for several years,
I for one am glad to have it back.  If it means that I get to read information
that is important to my work ... I am thrilled!  I personally am quite capable
of recognizing propaganda and do not feel I have been lead down a garden path I
didn't want to go just because pharmaceutical companies are advertising in a
Health Promotion journal!

I would be very interested in hearing what others have to say ... Tom, if you
are still interested in contacting the company that produce the journal ... for
a back issue article ... (that presumablly will help your with your work!) ...
call (905) 884-2612 or mail to them at Health Promotion in Canada, 360-A Newkirk
Rd., Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4C 3G7.

Debbie Bang
Coordinator/Researcher
St. Joseph's Community Health Centre