Don't know how many of you know about Jocelyn Chadwick-Joshua's new THE JIM
DILEMMA: READING RACE IN HUCKLEBERRY FINN, but I would like to recommend it
to y'all.  Her exploration of the character of Jim, her comments on his use
of rhetoric, and her discussions on irony and satire will be helpful for
all readers of HF, particularly for those teaching the book.  Her take on
the ending--very like Vic Doyno's--is fresh and again will help in
defending the book in the classroom.  I haven't come across another book as
important as this one this year--does anyone have any recommendations for
good 1998 book-length Twain studies?

Wes Britton