Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 12:14:24 +0300
To: [log in to unmask]
From: Robert Gurevich <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Fyi

Dear Bob:

        We are an educational development project which has been operational in
Albania for the past 5 years.  We are working on planning educational
programs for refugee children once the situation is stabilized.  Right now
the situation is in very strong emergency phase but we need to begin
planning for education programs which will begin shortly.  Rather than
reinvent the wheel, I am sure that the refugee experience in other parts of
the world is relevant to this situation.  If you know of any literature or
lists or whatever, that describes educational programs (pre-school through
grade 12) for refugees, it would be very helpful.  \we would also be
interested in non-formal, youth programs, information on what works and
what doesn't etc.  We are taking education in its broadest context.    We
need to get ahead of the curve on this.

        Any help would be appreciated,

        Bob

At 10:24 AM 4/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
> From Humanitartian Times.
>Bob Pyke Jr
>BASIC EDUCATION FOUND TO BE ACHIEVABLE IN COMPLEX EMERGENCIES,
>at intl workshop March 15-17, hosted by the World Bank, with
>input from Save-Children, IRC, World Vision & other aid agencies.
>UNICEF ExecDir Carol Bellamy told the participants that crises
>are no excuse for failure of donors to support basic educaton.
>Human rights & ethnic tolerance education were also demonstrated
>by NGOs as viable & effective programs both pre & post-conflict.

Robert Gurevich, Ph.D.
Executive Director
Albania Education Development Project (AEDP)
Themistokli Germenji  Nr. 3/1
Tirana, Albania
Tel:     355-42-27731
Mobile:  355-38-202-6406