Date:

The Canberra Times article is not persuasive, more of an anti-Marx than a
pro-JS Mill argument.  The biggest problem with is seems to me to be the
idea
that planned economies were the problem for the third world. A larger issue
is why the market isn't sufficient to get third world development going,
and
what we can do to change that.  He who can answer that one will be the
economist of the next millenium!

Marx's big idea was to examine the economy from the perspective of what it
looks like to those who work, rather than those who make profits.  That was
big idea, and in fact goes along with the expanding democratic idea that
all
people in the society matter, not just those at the top.

However, can't we come up with more candidates than Marx and Smith for the
economist of the millenium?  Millenium is a long time.  What about Thomas
Aquinas?  He started to think about profits in a more positive way.

Marie Duggan
PhD Candidate, New School