Date:

It may be that this millennium like the last produced no great
economists. Veblen might be right, economics is in a pre-scientific
stage. Or perhaps we don't have an agreed upon criteria for judging.

If we look at other disciplines and try to discern what made the great
great, we see one simple criteria. Consider for instance, Newton,
Darwin, Einstein, Bohr. What each of them did, and what others didn't,
was to find a simple key and apply it to give the discipline coherence.

Since the economy is dynamic, I would contend that a great economist
would have to find a key which drives the system and apply it to show
its importance.

On this basis there are very few contenders for the title of greatest
economists.

Adam Smith, for his insight that the pursuit of private interest could
maintain a viable economy. (I know there were precursors, Mandeville,
etc., but they only had the key in their hands. They didn't use it.)

Marx, for his insights into the dynamic role played by the tension
between the forces of production and the relations of production. For
his insight into how a system of formal equal exchanges could co-exist
with substantially unequal exchanges.

Marshall, for his integration of the subjective and objective factors
into the first clear understanding of supply and demand.

The predictions and the analytic tools are not important. The details of
how these insights were used is also unimportant. No one cares if
Darwin got a few things wrong or if Newton spent many years of his
life pursuing alchemy. What is important is that they opened doors for
the epigones and technicians.

Rod Hay
Batoche Books