From:
[log in to unmask] (Sumitra Shah)
Date:

I would like to to mention that Schumpeter showed uncharacteristic traits
of feminism in his early Harvard days. Wolfgang Stolper in his book "J.A.
Schumpeter : The public life of a Private Man" (1994) mentions an episode
in which one the professors (I do not recall the name) refused to lecture
because female students were present. Schumpeter was apparently troubled by
it. Stolper goes on to write that in 1936 Schumpeter recommended to
President Conant, who asked his advice, that they invite Ragnar Frisch and
John Hicks to Harvard. But he (Schumpeter) also wrote:

"But Mrs. Joan Robinson of Cambridge, England, an economist of
international fame, would be an extremely good acquisition....I may add
that if there were any wish to break with that antifeminist tradition,
which seems to me, frankly, to be somewhat reactionary, her appointment
would afford an excellent opportunity".

As far as I know, Harvard did not take his advice.

Sumitra Shah
St.John's University