AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

Sender:
"A forum for discussion for the Archives Assoc. of Ontario" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:32:01 -0400
Hello everyone,

I wanted to post a note to the list serv to provide an update on a number
of items that members have been following:

Dempsey Store:  There has been much public outcry in recent weeks regarding
the store and there will be a public meeting on July 5th at 8 pm in the
former city of North York's council chambers.  If you feel strongly that
the store should remain an archives and open to the public, I urge you to
attend.  The sheer number of supporters would be helpful.  At this point, I
am not sure who will be speaking, but it seems likely that the Dempsey
family, the North York Historical Society, the Ontario Historical Society
and likely a rep from the AAO.

Additionally, the issue will be heading back to the Administration
committee on July 11.  There will be an opportunity for interested members
of the public to speak to the committee about the Store.  Again, if you
feel that this place should be used as a public museum, you should ask to
speak or  send a letter of concern to the councillors.

I am hopeful that the site will remain an historical landmark however, I am
also seeking commercial space in Toronto and if anyone has any insights
about sharing space with another group (I have talked to all the historical
groups) please send suggestions off list.

I have appreciated the kind words and support on this matter.  Your voice
can save this site.

Conference:  The conference was a great chance to meet members I have
spoken with through out the year.  I have had some great suggestions for
improving future conferences that I will be brining to the Board.  If you
have some suggestions, please send them off list.  I take complaints also.

AAO Email System: About ten days ago, the aao email computer housed at my
home breathed its last.  I did manage to purchase a replacement computer (I
bought my very own) and it now has the aao email on it until we get an
office.  If you  sent an email, I may not have received your email.  I do
have a back log on some and will get to them asap and I am sorry for the
delay.  I do know that I am missing a few things - could someone send me
the chapter executive lists sometime?  I would like these when you get a
moment.

I know it can be annoying to have email delays, but I am hopeful that once
the office gets a site and the email can be moved to my place of business
where I have access to all information, it will be easier.

Thanks everyone and if you need any information about the above or have
other questions, please respond off list.

Take care

Heather