AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Marc Lerman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 17:01:13 -0400
AAO PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE  re. AAO CONFERENCE 2000

Dear Colleagues:

In 48 hrs. I will be kicking off our Conference 2000 at Trent University in
Peterborough.  You are all invited to witness how the Archives Association
of Ontario is attempting to convey the message about preserving the archival
aspects of our society, to promote the archival record in all it's formats,
and invite support and participation in AAO Programs.

Conference 2000 is for you, our AAO members.  The agenda has been created to
ensure a thorough presentation of all AAO projects and programs, and allow
delegates to provide comment and suggestion.

On Friday June 9th, the AAO will be launching Ontario's first on-line,
searchable Internet gateway to Ontario archival repositories and their
holdings.  ARCHEION - Ontario's Archival Information Network/Le R*seau
d'information archivistique de l'Ontario - will be the online, searchable
gateway to Ontario's documentary heritage and will enable Canadians and the
world to explore the rich and diverse social, political and cultural legacy
of Ontario.  I am sure all who will witness the launch will be impressed.
This is truly one of AAO's crowning achievements since its inception.

Our Association created and applied an administrative and governance plan
during the past three years.  This has necessitated important constitutional
changes.  The proposed constitutional amendments are outlined in the
Resolutions Committee document sent to the membership in the Spring.  The
amendments to our constitution will be tabled for membership vote during our
AGM.  I urge you to attend the meeting and participate in this decision
process.  A process which I believe is vital for the continued evolution of
the AAO.   I invite you to participate actively in building our
association's future.

I, regrettably, must announce that one vacant Board position (1 year term)
remains.   Nominations will be accepted from the floor at the Annual General
Meeting before elections are held for the slate for the 2000-2001 AAO Board
of Directors.

The Conference also includes many opportunities to meet and commiserate with
colleagues.  The highlight is a dinner boat cruise on the Otonabee river.
Sharing our expertise, successes and struggles with others is surely a
valuable aspect of any conference.

A conference program will be available on site. Some sessions included in
the draft conference schedule have been cancelled and replaced by others.
The official program will include all the details.  At the moment,  the
following Conference schedule changes should be noted.

Firstly, the Sunday June 11th Conference Workshop (preservation) is
cancelled due to a lack of registration.  Thus the Conference is now from
June 7th to 10th ; and

Secondly, the Annual General Meeting is scheduled on Saturday June 10th,
10:30 am to 12:00 pm.

I sincerely hope registrants will accept the invitation to become better
acquainted with the AAO and each other.  The Conference should allow us to
get a better sense of our fellowship in our important work and should renew
our commitment to the mandate of the Archives Association of Ontario.

I look forward to seeing you in Peterborough.

Marc Lerman
AAO President