Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:18:19 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (Tony Brewer)

Two questions:

(1) When was Say's law first called by that name (as opposed to 'the
law of markets' or something else) and who named it?

(2) One of my students claims (in an essay) that it was Keynes who
first summarized Say's law in the words 'supply creates its own
demand'. I find that my students are not always reliable sources (and I
can't cross-question this particular student, because it is vacation now).
It seems unlikely to me, but I realize that I can't offhand think of an
earlier use of the phrase. Was my student right?

Tony Brewer ([log in to unmask])