Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:18:19 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (Greg Ransom)

Robin wrote:

> Would it have been Derrida who would have written the history of
> economics by uncovering the effective contextualization of the term
> in different periods?

Doesn't this sort of thing predate Derrida?

As I understand it, the debate over historicism arose when terms and
concepts like 'price' and 'money' were contextualized into different
historical periods, with the implication that there could be no science of
economics which applied univerally across time and space, in the way
that the natural sciences do.

I know some of the economists and philosophers who argued against
this view, but I am less clear about the names & identities of the
individuals whom they were arguing against.  If Derrida wasn't the first
to contextualize words and concepts into different periods, who was?
Did this take place outside of economics first, and then was taken up
as a theoretical outlook by folks thinking about wealth, production,
trade & exchange?

Greg Ransom
MiraCosta College