From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Perelman)
Date:

Jeff, I appreciate your thoughtful reply.  Your picture implies that the
growing population would suffice to lower the standard of living in the
countryside sufficiently to drive the desired number of workers into
employment -- if I understand you correctly.  From what I understand, the
standard of living in the countryside had been deteriorating for some time
prior to the Industrial Revolution.  Like people elsewhere, the rural
population in Britain did not want to break its links with its traditional
way of life -- of course, in making such a claim, I'm making a broad
generalization that will not be universally true.

The willingness of the hand loom weavers to hang on despite ever worsening
conditions with the testimony to this stubborn adherence to a traditional
way of life.

The reduction of protein from a prohibition of hunting is only part of the
story that I told.  Even more important, was the destruction of crops
resulting from the game laws.  Then, too, I only mentioned the game laws in
response to Tony's initial comment.  The story of the game laws make up
only a part of one chapter in the book.

John Stuart Mill was unique among the classical political economists in his
support for peasant agriculture.  Smith, Ricardo, and even Malthus occupied
the other end of the spectrum.  Their views constitute a far greater
portion of the book.

Michael Perelman