From:
[log in to unmask] (E. Roy Weintraub)
Date:
David Colander's point is generally correct, but there are some
institutional subtleties that shape his argument, and which can be
developed by considering some "historical" material.

In American Ph.D programs in Economics, it was not the Economics
Departments that had the language requirements, but rather the graduate
schools themselves that had the requirements. It is for example the Duke
Graduate School, or the U of Penn Graduate School, that awards degrees and
in fact sets degree requirements. In the "old days"  of fifty years ago,
most US graduate schools had the requirement that for graduation (Ph.D),
one needed reading fluency in two languages. In Mathematics at Penn in the
1960s that was certainly the case. Over time that eroded, and by 1970 or so
"programming" became a substitute for one language in that matheamtics
department.

Economics by 1970 had one language with math replacing the grad school's
"second language" requirement. Over time all science departments, and then
social science departments, petitioned the Graduate Faculties around the US
for modification of the "two language" rule. I had to appear before the
august Executive Committee of the Graduate Faculty sometime in the 1970s as
Graduate Director in Economics to make our request for the waiver of the
rule in our case. The vote in their group was favorable to our request, but
was actually close, with a classicist leading the opposition. After a
hiatus of a decade or so, the petitions began coming in to replace the
single language with computer facility, and by the end of the 1980s, the
Graduate School had gone out of the language requirement business, leaving
it up to departments. Many humanities departments retained the two language
requirement, while some dropped to one plus something; it has been said
that the reason for the huge numerical imbalance in the American Historical
Association between American historians and other kinds of historians is
the need for the others to read German!

Thus David's point about the rise in the use of English in economics is in
fact a small part of a larger picture, since English use is hardly confined
to economics, but is shared by mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology,
computer science, engineering, and various social sciences as well. And the
graduate students in those areas of the sciences too are mostly non-native
English speakers.

E. Roy Weintraub
Duke University