From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross Emmett)
Date:
Your reference:

Haney, Lewis H. 1911. History of Economic Thought: A Critical Account of the Origin and
Development of the Economic Theories of the Leading Thinkers in the Leading Nations. New
York: Macmillan.

Haney's text was based in part on an earlier manuscript by Richard T. Ely.

Regarding the teaching of the history of economics:

The University of Chicago first taught "History of Political Economy" in 1893-94 (the
University's second year of operation). The course was taught almost every year after
that. The regular instructors were: Adolph Casper Miller (1894-1896), Thorstein Veblen (
1898-1906), Robert Hoxie (1907-1916), J.M. Clark (1916-1926) and Frank Knight (1928 -
1950s). By the time Knight taught the course the name had been changed to History of
Economic Thought.

Knight had previously taught the History of Economic Thought at the University of Iowa (
1919-28). He took the course over from Isaac Altheus Loos, who had taught the course since
1894 (Haney had also taught the course at Iowa).

Knight took a course on the History of Economic Thought from A.S. Johnson at Cornell
University in 1913-1914. Details provided in Richard Howey, "Frank Hyneman Knight and the
History of Economic Thought," Research in the History of Economic Thought and Methodology
1 (1983): 163-86. Johnson did not assign a textbook, I think, but rather provided a long
reading list (Knight read works for the course in English, German, and French).

I also know that Charles Jesse Bullock, author of the frequently used Introduction to the
Study of Economics, taught History of Economic Thought at Harvard from 1903 to 1935 (did
Schumpeter take over from him?). Bullock may have taught the course previously at Cornell.

I'll be interested to see other contributions to this thread!

Ross Emmett