From:
[log in to unmask] (Hugh Rockoff)
Date:
A number of recent postings have used the term Autism in a pejorative way. We really
shouldn't do this. Although great progress has been made in diagnosing and treating Autism
in recent years, people with autism, their families and friends, and their caregivers
still need all the help and understanding they can get; not the reinforcement of negative
stereotypes.

I am sure my own record for sensitivity is far from unblemished, so I am probably not the
best person to bring this up. And I am certain that the people who have been using this
term on the list did so without the intention of hurting anyone -- except perhaps economic
theorists! I am just suggesting that in the future we use a different different term --
slime ball? -- to express contempt for trends or people in economics that we don't like.

Hugh Rockoff
Professor of Economics