From:
[log in to unmask] (Tom Stapleford)
Date:

I am currently writing the proposal for my dissertation, "The
Construction of the Consumer Price Index, 1919-1975: Theory, Practice, and
Politics."  As the title implies, I will examine the theory and practice
behind the calculation of the CPI and the efforts of the Bureau of Labor
Statistics to establish it as a credible and meaningful economic
statistic.

I am a graduate student in the history of science, and so I am
relatively familiar with the literature on the history of statistics from
a history or sociology of science perspective (eg., Ted Porter, Ian
Hacking, Donald Mackenzie, etc.).  However, I know much less about work in
the history of economics (or economic history), and unfortunately, no one
in my department knows very much either.  If anyone here has suggestions
about particular authors, articles, books, etc. that I should take a look
at, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thank you,
Tom Stapleford
Harvard University