From:
[log in to unmask] (Annie L. Cot)
Date:
I sent Alain Desrosieres Tom's message. Here is his answer :

TO: Tom Stapleford

Annie Cot sent me your question about the history of CPI.  It is a very
interesting topic, with two sides

1) economic theory, with for example the Irving Fisher book of 1922
(The Making of Index Numbers)

2) statistical practice in the NSIs
You can look (if you don't know it already) at : Kendall M.G. :
"Studies in the History of Probability and Statistics, XXI. The early
history of index numbers". Review of the International Statistical
Institute,Vol. 37, 1969.   There is a very good bibliography.

You surely know the book : Duncan and Shelton, Revolution in US
Govt Statistics, 1926-1976, (US dept of Commerce, 1978) in which there are
many informations about the history of CPI.

There would be a lot of things to see about these questions : uses of
CPI (indexation of wages, national accounts, deflation of vaues by prices
to have volumes, etc...)and technics : coverage, weightings, Paasche vs
Laspeyre, etc....

For the collect of data, there are two parts : household budget
surveys for the weightings, observations of prices. Both are interesting.

If you read French, I can send you a paper I wrote about the history
of household budget surveys.

Alain Desrosičres

Annie L. Cot