From:
[log in to unmask] (r.j.sandilands)
Date:
Manual Santos writes:

>Women students were allowed into Harvard classrooms for the first time
in... 1943!

I don't think this is true, for I possess a copy of Lauchlin Currie's diary
for 1926-27 when he was a graduate student at Harvard, and they include
several references to the women in his class (though they sat at the back,
as I recall from memory). They were Radcliffe women, but they were in the
Harvard classrooms.

Also, I have a copy of a letter from Eleanor Lansing Dulles (sister of John
Foster and Allen Dulles) to Allyn Young's biographer, Charles Blitch. In it
she spoke of how Young was the near perfect teacher: "A large,
square-shouldered man with slightly rumpled tweeds, he would look into
space with a long range perspective while his hands groped for a
handkerchief -- usually not there, and we wondered whether we should give
him one. But his words never failed him... Never have I known such a
combination of sound knowledge and willingness to speculate and
reconsider."

Eleanor Dulles finished her dissertation under Young's supervision in
April1926 and it was published as "The French Franc, 1914-28", New York,
Macmillan, 1929, with an introduction by Young.

She also wrote: "When we were told he was leaving to be on the faculty of
the London Schol of Economics [summer 1927], Emily Huntington, later
professor of Economics at Berkeley, and I, who saw what a mess his office
was in, offered to help... It was an interesting chore and one that gave me
a better understanding of his dedication and sense of values... We who were
his students owe him much."

Roger Sandilands
University of Strathclyde