From:
[log in to unmask] (Sam Bostaph)
Date:

Jim Buchanan made the comment at a luncheon speech in Dallas
on October 17, 1989, before an audience of businessmen, lawyers
and assorted academics.  I was present and, in fact, introduced
him.  As I recall, at one point he referred to the last (1988)
nobel laureate Maurice Allais as a man who hadn't done anything
in twenty years.  I forget the exact context of the remark, but
seem to recall that it was made as part of a general assessment
of the sorry state of the economics profession, especially academic
theorists. Some insight as to why he might have reached such an
assessment can be found in his 1985 LIBERTY, MARKET AND STATE essays, esp. "Political
Economy: 1957-82."  I would add that my own
amusement at the remark is based on my own epistemological
and methodological views.

Sam Bostaph