From:
J. (J.)
Date:

[Regarding Rod Hay's comment from Samuelson.]

Hmmm, since this is asked again, I guess I  should respond.

It is tempting, but I think probably unfair.  The reason
is indeed the language barrier.  I believe that at least
some of J.B. Clark's theoretical antecedents wrote in
English, although I am aware of some in other languages.
One can perhaps let him off the hook on the grounds of
lack of internet, poor library facilities, etc.  If somebody
thinks something up, they do not always go searching
endlessly to find someone else who did it earlier.  How
long does one keep searching if one does not find?  Is
there any evidence that Clark was aware of his antecedents?
That is clearly another matter.  But, that is not what Samuelson
accused him of, merely of incompetence (not very nice that,
though....    ).

As for Samuelson, he has quoted enough French in
his writings to make me think that he does know it.  But,
perhaps he does not know it well enough to consume
an entire book in it.

It may be that Samuelson was overly harsh with Clark.
But, I'm not sure we should repeat his mistake with him.

Barkley Rosser
James Madison University