From:
[log in to unmask] (Tony Brewer)
Date:
I remain unconvinced by Michael Perelman's response to my comments.
Michael says that although hunting could not support a significant
population it could make the difference between 'success or failure'.
This seems to imply an either/or choice between self-provisioning or
working for wages, with hunting tipping the balance. But later he says
that people (I am not sure which people) 'wanted enough self
provisioning to make sure that wages could be low, but not so much as
to offer an escape from wage labor', implying that the choice is not
just either/or. Is it suggested that the game laws were part of a
finely-adjusted calculation designed to leave country people just
unable to survive by self-provisioning? I can't believe that either the
rural population or the potential gains from hunting were sufficiently
homogeneous to achieve that aim, or the upper classes smart enough to
make the calculations. My impression is that most of the country poor
were engaged in at least some wage work and had been for a long time,
so complete self-provisioning was not a real issue.

I am also unconvinced by his treatment of the damage allegedly done by
organised hunting. He says that business people were undisturbed by
losses to less well-off country people. That may well be, but it seems
absurd to suggest that Ricardo (say) would have been undisturbed by
significant losses in agricultural productivity. Why should business
people care about the corn laws and not about reduced agricultural
productivity? Both affect the supply, and hence price, of corn.

I should say that my comments relate to eighteenth and nineteenth
century England, not to the deer parks of the Scottish highlands, which
are a different case. Michael's reply switches between the two.

Tony Brewer