From:
[log in to unmask] (Humberto Barreto)
Date:
[The following announcement was read by Dan Hammond at the History of
Economics Society meeting, July 2003]

Citation of Denis Patrick O'Brien
2003 Distinguished Fellow
History of Economics Society

July 6, 2003

The 2003 Distinguished Fellow of the History of Economics Society is
Professor Denis Patrick O'Brien.

Denis O'Brien is a colleague and friend a number of you, and has been a
teacher of others. Yet I am sure there are some in attendance tonight who
have never met him.  Especially for those of us who are not from Britain
the opportunities to meet him are few, because Professor O'Brien is not an
enthusiastic traveler or conferee. Indeed, we were unable to persuade him
to cross the Atlantic from Durham, U.K. to Durham, U.S.A. to receive this
award in person. Professor O'Brien is also not given to self-promotion. So
even his scholarship is not as well known as it deserves to be. Perhaps
this Distinguished Fellowship will be a corrective. For Denis O'Brien's
scholarship is superb. His essays and books are a treat for the mind and
spirit.

Denis O'Brien began his career as an industrial economist, and his first
publication was a piece in the Journal of Industrial Economics on patent
protection in textiles. This was in 1964, shortly after he took a position
as probationary lecturer at Queen's University, Belfast. O'Brien shortly
thereafter began his doctoral thesis on the work of J. R. McCulloch, under
the direction of R.D. Collison Black. His book, J. R. McCulloch, A Study in
Classical Economics, was published in 1970. Of this work, a doctoral thesis