AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Brian Masschaele <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Masschaele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 15:09:10 -0500
Greetings members,

I thought some of you might enjoy reading what is happening in another
province archivally speaking.  I find it particularly interesting to learn
of Alberta's pro-active plans to support community archives as part of the
"Alberta Centennial Legacies Grant Program".  The proposed plan calls for
provincial funding of community based archives as well as more support to
develop Aboriginal archives.  It makes me envious.  Although Ontario is not
swimming in oil revenues, should we not be lobbying for precisely the same
support here in Ontario?  We may not have an upcoming centennial, but is
this the only reason to support local archives?  The amount of change that
has occurred in communities across this province merits a serious
examination as to our overall vision for archives in Ontario and the
willingness of our provincial government to support the development of local
programs.  I am heartened to see that the ASA is optimistic about their
chances of receiving provincial funding.  I must admit that my recent
efforts to obtain similar support here have been less than encouraging.  Do
we have to wait until 2067 for our next chance?  I am willing to press on
but I doubt I'll be able to wait that long.  I also suspect I may have
bigger problems to deal with by that time.  Brian.