From:
Michelle Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:23:10 -0500
Greetings -- this is my first post, though I know some of the folks whose names
I've seen here.

As a clear communication advocate, my suggestion of course is influenced by my
main area of focus: it would be to not get caught up in the latest technological
bells and whistles when planning an online initiative.

The previous poster's point about community involvement is germane to my
suggestion too. A useful well-functioning online communication tool is designed
with the users' communication and information needs in mind. Sure, this means it
needs to be attractive, and take advantage of any advances that will improve the
tool's usefulness. But this should not extend to the point where creativity and
impressiveness supplant the need for a tool that works for, and is accessible
to, all potential users.

My $0.02,
Michelle Black

Plain Language Writer
Health Communication Service
Centre for Health Information and Promotion (CHIP)

The Hospital for Sick Children
555 University Avenue
Toronto, Ontario  M5G 1X9
Phone: (416) 813-7286