Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:18:56 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (E. Roy Weintraub)

> Let me suggest a third -- the study of economics as the study of
> institutional and intellectual pathology.  Now and again reswitching
> comes up in this sort of context.  And this sort of context has
> multiple dimensions -- sociological, theoretical, normative,
> political, cultural, etc.  For those outside of the institutional
> culture/reward system of the economics profession in America &
> Britain, this context is among the more significant and interesting
> ways in which reswitching is important.
>
> Greg Ransom

Curious response here. Why does a hostility to economics -- it's kind of a pathology? --
find expression on the history of economics list? Since Ransom's own Hayek list has
generated, from some of its subscribers, actual threats to both an article's author, Mel
Reder, and the editor of the History of Political Economy, over a published piece raising
the question of Hayek's ambivalent connection to Judiasm (he was Vienniese, and thus
ambivalent -- see Malachi Hacohen's prize winning volume on Popper, who was similarly
"afflicted"), neither academic freedom nor free speech should be an issue for him.  Some
libertarian.

The original question about reswitching can be asked, and argued over, without Ransom's
book-burning approach to a reasoned conversation.

E. Roy Weintraub