Date:

I just returned from a vacation and wanted to add a comment to those
by others on the origin of the prisoner's dilemma argument and its uses in
the social sciences.

One of the earliest and clearest appreciations of the Prisoner's Dilemma is
in Hobbes'  writings, and especially the Leviathan.  Here he refers to a
law
of nature that individuals in a state of nature are compelled by their
emotional fear of sudden violent death to employ reason to find a way out
of
their awful situation.  It is discovered that it is rational to lay down a
person's claims to all things and the bodies of other persons but only on
the
condition that each has an adequate reason to believe that others will
behave
the same way.  In the absence of such mutual assurance each person is
permitted  (that is, authorized by natural law) to use all methods of
warfare
including force and fraud.  Fraud means that one might fake a willingness
lay down such claims to goad the other player into doing so first and
thereby
conquering and grabbbing away his possessions. The cheater's payoff in the
P/D model.

In the absence of such reassurance that others will keep their mutual
promises, the state of nature remains as Hobbes described it ---nasty
brutish
and short.  Each play er remains armed to the hilt afraid to lay down his
arms.  In the state of nature we have a status quo solution---the  stubborn
Nash equilibrium.

The logic of the P/D haunted Hobbes and led him to realize that only with
the
appearance of a sovereign power ( a awesome actor who has not entered into
any mutual agreement with the "prisoners" and stands outside the contract
with the intent and power to keep all men and women to their promises) does
it finally become  psychologically safe  for the isolated individuals to
exit
form the state of nature and enter into society.   Hobbes writes of a
commodious life (a prosperous life) becoming finally an option but only
after
a sovereign power is established to keep all men and women to their
promises.
 Hobbes did not explain why the sovereign power would be motivated to provide
the conditions for a market-style prosperity with laws favoring the
toleration of foreign merchants, agricultural investments encouraged by
property rights, cultural achievements and transportation innovations  (map
making is referred to) but these details about the rational dictator were
added later by members of the Public Choice school such as Buchanan,
Tullock
and most recently by Olson in his last and very stimulating book "Power and
Prosperity" and applied most creatively to the Russian state in our time.

Since trusting someone to lay down his arms when he is deceiving you about
his true intentions with rhetoric and skilfull gestures carries with it a
death-sentence payoff, this sort of P/D ---the one dramatized by Hobbes in
his writings---cannot be escaped by repetition and the adoption of "tit for
tat" strategies.   Neither will better methods of  verbal communication
between the "prisoners" solve the problem since the whole point of the
State
of Nature is that force and fraud are welcomed devices for prolonging life
and actors can fake their words  (Hobbes's example of the "fool" explores
this logic).   Promises are but words or tools for "utlility maximization"
and not true indexes of human plans and motivations.

For the record I want to insist that a similar appreciation of the P/D
problem informs Hume's Treatise.  Hume (following Hobbes but not
acknolwedging his debt to Hobbes for practical reasons) distinguished
between
what voluntary agreement (tacit assent) could achieve in small groups
compared with large groups.  This distinction between what is possible in
small groups and why what is possible in small groups is not possible in
large groups is crucial to certain strands of thought in modern economics
from problem surrounding the "core"  in competition theory, to the origin
of
public choice economics, bargaining costs, to an appreciation of certain
types of transaction cost economics.  In large groups, a strong central
power
is needed in both in Hume and in Hobbes--- voluntary contracting or tacit
assent will not work in large groups because reputation effects become
difficult to detect!    Adam Smith continues these discussions in several
places including his Lectures as well.

I can send anyone who is interested some essays that I wrote on these
subjects published several decades ago but I still remain interested in
this
strand of thinking in economics.  I had a short correspondence with Mancur
Olson on some of these issues about Hobbes and the P/D problem.  Olson like
Jim Buchanan extends Hobbes' scientific approach in new directions making a
more inclusive social science possible.

Obviously, if we take a broader view of economics as dealing with the
structures that make market trading possible and promise-keeping credible,
then it is not difficult to push the origins of modern economics back to at
least Hobbes and possibly earlier still depending always on definitions of
what economics  as a social science is all about.   As Jevons, Weber, Mises
and others have maintained economics is part of a broader sociology and the
boundaries between the "disciplines" are fuzzy and always worth rethinking
and perhaps redrawing.

Laurence S. Moss