Date:

Sam Bostaph said:

<<I think it's worth bearing in mind in any comparison of Hobbes and Hume
that Hume had more than practical reasons for not emphasizing a debt to
Hobbes. They were opponents on the key political-philosophical point of
natural rights.  For Hobbes, government was a way of "granting" rights and
protecting naturally brutish humans from each other.  For Hume, rights
predate government and government's job is to guarantee and protect them;
and, human nature is not so brutish, as humans are God's creatures with a
moral nature.

Buchanan et al. have a Hobbsian view of human nature.  Jim Buchanan is
quite forthcoming in that regard.>>

I am not sure I agree with Sam Bostaph's interpretation.  Hobbes believed
in
natural rights---men and women have a natural right to do what is necessary
to save their lives.  They trade off "absolute liberty" for something less
because absolute liberty is hell (for a modern version see Buchanan's Logic
of Leviathan).      I tried to make this clear in my earlier post.  I
suppose
the
point I am trying to make is that Hobbes and Hume are much closer as
"social
scientists" than historians are willing to admit.  The ethical theorists
who
are miles away from Hobbes and Hume are Shaftesbury and the moral sense
school.

Indeed, any economist in sympathy with some of the modern Austrian school
should admire Hobbes as much as Hume because Hobbes used (1) methodological
individualism as his principal method of analysis (following Gallieo, etc.)
and (2) pioneered the distinction between natural and artificial which Hume
and later Hayek make so much of and (3) was an early subjectivist in his
claim what what someone is "worth" is what someone is able and willing to
pay for his services (this last influence shows up later in both Mandeville
and Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations ---chapter 5 I believe).

To declare that Hobbes did not believe in natural law or natural rights is
simply not correct.  I am away from my home library but I think my source
on
this matter is Warrender.

Laurence S. Moss