From:
[log in to unmask] (Greg Ransom)
Date:
Tom Stapleford is looking for literature on the history
of statistics in economics.  I good place to start is with
Mary Morgan's 1990 book _The History of Econometric Ideas_
(Cambridge).  For some of the issues involved, I might
also recommend Hamouda & Rowley's _Probability in Economics_.
Take a look also at McCloskey's work on the misuse of statistics
in economics.  Finally, for a very basic start on the logic
of the use of statistics in economics, I might recommend
Ludwig von Mises' discussion on the fundamentals of applying
statistics to economic phenomena (yes, this is the brother
of Richard).

Some of the early fundamental theoretical work on
price indexes was done by folks in Europe (Haberler,
Morgenstern).  It would be interesting to see what
interplay there might have been between such serious
economic theory and the social-political construction
of the Consumer Price Index.  Also interesting --
a bit of comparison between countries on how theory
became practice & politics.

Greg Ransom