From:
[log in to unmask] (Steven Horwitz)
Date:
Hello HESers.  A friend who is an economic geographer sent me the
following recently and I offered to forward it to this list to see if
anyone could help him out.  Replies can be sent to me and I will forward
them on to him.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Horwitz

******

 I am currently researching the history of
spontaneous industrial resource recovery.  I am
currently immersed in writings that were produced by
the Society of Arts in London following the Great
Exhibition of 1851.  I came across a number of
classical liberal characters who wrote very
interesting things about the economics of recycling,
although none of them would be labeled economists
(they were rather economic journalists, chemists,
engineers, etc.).  After looking through a number of
books on the history of economic thought, I haven't
been able to find the name of any one of them in the
index, except for Charles Babbage who was an early
precursor.  Knowing your interest in the history of
economic ideas, I was wondering if you knew anybody
who would label himself an expert on the history of
British economic thought between, say, 1850 and 1900,
or else if you would recommend any book on the topic.

 The character that I am really trying to
track is one Peter Lund Simmonds who, from what I am
able to tell, was one of the foremost economic
journalists of Victorian England.  He wrote a bunch of
books on technical matters - such as waste recovery, a
handbooks of commerce ("descriptive and statistical
accounts" of the import and export of the UK, a 25 000
definition commercial dictionary of trade products, a
couple of treatise on tropical agriculture and sea
products, etc.)  He was very prolific, but he always
dedicated his books to President of Boards of Trade,
Industry Associations, etc.  He never quoted an
economist in his work, but his work would have been of
obvious relevance to economists.