From:
[log in to unmask] (John F Henry)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =======================

[NOTE: Because there seems to be some interest in discussing the
transition from political economy to economics, and some participants may
not identify that thread from the original heading, I am now instituting a
new subject header for this thread, as above. For the original message that
started this thread, see Roy Davidson's message of 11 April, bearing the
subject line "Re: HES: WWW -- Neoclassical/Henry George bibliography". --
RBE]

Prof. Davidson, et al.,
With regard to the change in nomenclature, in the 2nd edition of Jevons'
Theory of Political Economy, he writes in the preface of the "need" to
change the name of the discipline from political economy to economics,
though he (apparently) thought it ill-advised to actually do so in the
title of his work.

It appears that this suggested change stems from the changing thrust of
the discipline itself which had begun prior to Jevons, but which is
well-represented by Jevons and the whole of the "marginal revolution," in
which a theoretical effort is made to develop general, universal laws
that are independent of society, social structures, relations, etc. Or,
following Knight (and I'm paraphrasing), "I do not know how we can talk
sense about economics without considering the economic behavior of an
isolated individual. Only in that way can we expect to get rid by
abstraction of all the social relationships" (Intelligence and Democratic
Action).

Given the focus of this group away from the view of economic relations as
part of a larger set of social relations (the "embeddedness" view?), it
would seem almost natural, and certainly politic, to distance themselves
from the previous "political economists," and the change in name would
assist this enterprise. (Though, again, this changing focus had been set
in motion by pre-Jevonian economists who continued to write under the old
name.)

Does this sound reasonable?

John F. Henry
California State Univ. -- Sacramento