From:
[log in to unmask] (David Mitch)
Date:

Others on this list will be far more expert than I on this,
but I can't resist offering some suggestions.

One source to turn to for the first American professor of
Political Economy or Economics -- and the exact title here
probably does matter -- would be Joseph Dorfman's _The Economic
Mind in American civilization, 1606-1865 -- i.e. the first
two volumes. My quick perusal did not yield a clear answer
on who exactaly was first in America to hold an academic chair
specifically devoted to economics/political economy-- but there are some
candidates for "early" econ profs. One  would be
Francis Wayland, who was President of Brown and who according
to Dorfman  introduced a course on the subject to Brown's curriculum
in the late 1820's (along with a course on "Evidences of Revelation"
though Wayland's actually professorwhip according to Dorfman was
in Moral Philosophy. In 1837, Wayland published one of the early
(though I don't think) first textbooks on Political Economy
written by an American.

A possible earlier candidate would be the Rev. John McVickar,
who according to Dorfman , "was professor of the subject [i.e.
Political Economy] at Columbia, apparently in the late teens
adn early to mid 1820's. Though Dorfman also indicates that
McVickar also often signed himself as "Professor of
Moral Philosophy, etc."  -- I suppose leaving open whether
Political Economy came under the heading of Moral Philosophy or
of "etc."  Dorfman indicates that in the early national period,
Political economy was "Merely a branch of moral philosophy"
and entitled to at best a few lectures.  But as the above
suggests there was some activity in teaching economics during
this period in hgher education.

Perhaps a more careful scrutiny of Dorfman would yield an answer
to the question of who was the first to hold a position
clearly designated for political economy in a U.S. college or
university.  But part of the issue here is whether this is what
the query is about versus who were some of the earlier teachers
of the subject even if their position was clearly not assigned
as such. Wayland and McVickar would seem to have been early
teachers of political economy in prominent positions, even if
they did not hold professorships specifically desgnated for
political economy.

David Mitch
University of Maryland Baltimore County